Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Tell the City of Salem How to Spend Money

Doesn't that sound fun?

I was at my neighborhood association meeting last night (yes, I do go to these meetings and you'd be surprised all the interesting info you can find out!) and one of our city's fine City Councilor's, Chuck Bennett, was in attendance. He mentioned that the Salem is planning its budget for the next year. Budget Committee meetings don't sound like the most exciting things to me, but I do care that our city is spending money on things I think are important.

So, when Chuck mentioned that citizens are allowed to come speak at the meetings, AND that you can give your opinion at the beginning of the meeting instead of waiting for lots of boring budget talking first, I was very excited. I have lots of random opinions important ideas!

One thing Chuck mentioned was that the Budget Committee is always very impressed when a citizen takes the time to come speak at the meetings because not very many people take this opportunity. Since it is unusual, they really take the citizens opinions seriously.

I think this is a great way to get involved in your local government - without even having to make any long term commitments!

Let's just admit it. Salem is awesome!

****************************

Wednesdays 6 PM
(for the next few weeks)
City Council chambers at City Hall


0 comments:

Post a Comment