Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Thoughts on the Salem Hospital Construction

I have had to go to the hospital a couple of times in the past few months. Not for anything serious or anything. Just visiting people or having bloodwork done or walking through the area on a walk.

What I have noticed is that the construction just keeps going and going. I'm sure there must be progress, but just about the time you notice one building looking a little more finished, you notice that they've torn up half of the lobby of another building. Exactly what is it that they are doing over there?

I also noticed that there are a heck of a lot of people coming and going from the hospital area and saw that a large portion of them are workers. Well, I imagine a lot of patients come and go as well, you just don't see them stream out all at once when shift is over. As I thought about it, I realized what a huge employer Salem Hospital is. And not just a huge employer of hospital staff, but of construction staff. Could they be single-handedly holding up our local economy? It sure looks like it when you head over there on a Tuesday afternoon, that's for sure.

So, although I have no love in my heart for the bizzarely expensive medical care in the country, I do see how having one of the major hospitals in the surrounding areas could definitely be a boon for the city that houses it.

1 comments:

Kendra said...

That sounds pretty intence.I never new that side of the hospital, or the workers.Also makes me wonder why they would tear down part of a building, than turn around and build another one.Definitly makes me wonder..got to love good ole oregon!

Post a Comment