Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Salem Saturday Market is Back!

Don't forget that the Salem Saturday Market is back up and running in its usual location. It is in the parking lot bordered by Union St, Winter St, Summer St, and Marion St. It runs from 9 AM until 3 PM.

Last Saturday I decided to check out the first market of the year. I realized it would be a little sparse and it was. One thing that would be nice is if they moved things closer together when there are less vendors, but I suppose that would probably take a lot more organization and work on the part of the market managers.

Nevertheless, I wandered the market in search of some goodies. There were lots of plants, lots of crafts, and quite a few food booths. I bought a torta at one of the Mexican stands and then wandered until I found Persophone Farms. They had lots of root vegetables and some cabbage and kale. I bought turnips, parsnips, rutabega, potatoes, both orange and red beets, and shallots.

I ended up making a baked root vegetable dish. I washed and cut up the veggies, coated them in olive oil, added sea salt, a little pepper, and some sumac and baked the whole thing for about 30-40 minutes. Yummmmmm! One of my friends, who hails from Australia, said they call that Bubble and Squeak. What a quaint little name.

I really love that I was able to make a healthy, delicious, LOCAL dish even on the first day of the Saturday Market.

Check it out this weekend and see what you can make.

0 comments:

Post a Comment