Saturday, January 8, 2011

Salem Neighborhoods

So, I had an interesting conversation with Nancy (one of the owners/managers?) at Super Pho in the new downtown location the other day. She mentioned that she has noticed what a close knit group the downtown people are.

Everyone seems to know each other, or at least know of each other, and people talk to each other a lot. The first time I went into the restaurant, for instance, I knew two of the other patrons. We talked about a third person who has an office down the street and had become a regular.

Personally, I love living downtown and it feels a lot like a small town in a lot of ways. I enjoy running into other people I know, chatting with people in downtown businesses, waving to acquaintances on the street. I'm sure its lack of anonymity isn't for everyone, but it makes it feel like home to me.

It's not something I think about a lot until someone mentions it, but it got me wondering. Are the other Salem neighborhoods like this? Is it unique to downtown? Do people from other Salem/Keizer neighborhoods feel the same about their little corner of the city? Tell me your thoughts on this.

3 comments:

KandN said...

I've witnessed this personally--both you being recognized and others recognizing you.

I think that part of it is your sweet personality, but also downtown residents probably tend to be accessible pedestrians instead of drivers in isolation pods--I mean cars.

Anonymous said...

My son and his family live and love Salem, I have recently retired and am considering moving there myself. I like your comment made about knowing your neighborhood and feeling apart of it. I want to find out what makes Salem an interesting place to live. I especially enjoyed the downtown area and wonder what it would be like to live there. I am also a busy gal here in San Diego and would love to know I could experience some of the same fun and friendliness. I'll be up for a visit this week and may spend a couple of weeks...would love to join in on some of the fun. Anita

Unknown said...

tod's shoes
hollister outlet store
abercrombie and fitch outlet
ugg boots sale
girl jordans
coach factory outlet online
under armour clearance
coach outlet
air max 2015
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet 75% off
nike outlet
jordan 11
dior outlet store
fitflop sale
new balance outlet
jordan shoes for kids
nike outlet store online
ferragamo shoes outlet
hermes outlet
nike shoes outlet
coach outlet store online
fitflop sale
michael kors purses
new balance outlet
juicy couture
mont blanc
oakley sunglasses outlet
clarks outlet
jordan shoes
abercrombie and fitch outlet
abercrombie and fitch
michael kors outlet
air jordan 13
kobes shoes
hermes birkin
coach clearance
20151027yxj-2

Post a Comment